Thursday, February 6, 2014

The 25 days of Christmas Tradition: Year 1

25 days of Christmas

I decided this year to start a new tradition... doing something each day to get us in the holiday spirit of Christmas.  Mostly as a reminder to myself, and secondary as a decoration... I made this countdown calendar.


  • I started by gathering ideas of what we could do each day.  I typed them and printed them out.  
  • I made the numbered tags by cutting 2 1/2 inch x 3 inch paper (it's card making paper, so a heavier type), then using punches to quickly get a design on each tag.  I wanted each one different, so I just laid out a bunch at once, and put the punched paper on randomly.  After gluing everything down (using rubber cement) I used a stencil to write the numbers.  
  • I laid out each tag on our table then matched the ideas to each date based on when I thought each would be easiest for us to complete.  I glued the idea papers to the back.  Originally I wanted to do something where I could rearrange them every year, like a little pocket or something, but I ended up deciding that I could just print new papers and glue overtop of the old ones.
  • I punched a hole in the top of each tag, then I used a piece of yard to make a loop at the top.  These I glued at the knot (using a glue gun) to a long thick ribbon so that the tag could hang down from the ribbon.  


 As each day is completed, I am flipping the tags up (still attached to the ribbon) and tucking them on the shelf above.

 Each tag has something to do for that day. 





Pictures of Reece doing some of the activities.


Making Christmas cookies

Alum creek Christmas light show


Christmas day with Hulls
Christmas stockings with knebels

Building a snowman

Wildlights at the Columbus zoo
Making snow flakes
Playing with snow inside
Going on a carriage ride
Trimming the tree

Eating snow




No comments:

Post a Comment