Tuesday, December 10, 2013

Birthday board calendar

I've been wanting to make a family birthday calendar for a long time because I feel like I'm terrible at remembering birthdays in time to send a card.  I first saw the idea on pinterest but then when I looked in other places, there were so many great ways to do this project.   Etsy and pinterest, and theideadoorfiles were some of my other inspirations.

I actually started this calendar forever ago (before we moved this past April) but just didn't get it finished until recently.

Materials
wooden discs
drill & bit
paint & brush
blue & black permanent markers
premade frame
wood glue
metal rings
glue gun & glue
earring hooks

Directions
1. I drilled a small hole into each disc.  Then I painted each one with paint I already had from painting our (then) new house.  Once the paint was dry I wrote the name of each person in our family on a disc. I had already gathered the birthday dates for each person, so I wrote the numerical day to match the people.

2. I used a premade frame as the base that each disc would drop from.  The frames were broken (busted from being stored/moved so much) so I used wood glue to reattach and reinforce each corner and part of the backing.  This is the point at which I originally stopped, waiting for the wood glue to dry.
*It would be easy to also use a piece of wood, painted, in place of the frames.  Just make sure it is long enough that when you hang the discs, they won't be crowded.*

3. When I decided to finally finish the project about a month ago, I put metal rings through each of the holes I had drilled into the discs, bending them to open enough to push them through the holes (not closing them yet).

4. I used the same rings on the back of each frame.  I evenly spaced them so there were four on each frame, one for each month.  I used a glue gun to attach them.

This is the ring hot glued to the back of one of the frames.

5. With the rings on the discs, I had left them open from bending them to get them on the discs so that I could then put an earring hook onto the ring.  This is what I used to attach them all together.  Starting from the frame there would be a pattern of earring hook, ring, disc, earring hook, ring, disc, etc.

Connections

6. I wrote with a black permanent marker the first letter of each month to coordinate with how the rings attached to the frames were spaced.

7. I hung the frame on the wall, then hooked all of the discs together.  this is what it looks like on our wall. I decided to hang it in our family room above our couch because it will be an easy place to look to see when birthdays occur.
Final product

No comments:

Post a Comment